Shoppers in Accrington are being urged to be extra vigilant after a pickpocket targeted an elderly lady in the town centre.
The 83-year-old woman noticed her purse, containing £75, had been taken from her handbag on Broadway, Accrington, around 12.30pm, on January 10.
PC Anna Gavela said: “It is possible that someone had deliberately targeted the lady as she had just visited the cash point.
“I urge shoppers to make sure their handbags are securely closed by using the fasteners and to be extra vigilant and report anything suspicious to the police.”
To protect yourself against theft, you should:
• Never leave your bag open or unattended
• Make sure your bag is securely shut by using the fasteners provided
• If your bag has a strap, wear it across your body with any flaps facing inwards
• Never put your bag on the floor to look at something on shop shelves
• If you do not have a bag, hold your purse or wallet close to your body or carry it in an inside pocket if you have one
• Avoid carrying large amounts of cash
• Only keep items in your bag that are needed
• Keep your cash card separate from your chequebook.
Anyone with information can contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.