A grieving mum today voiced her anger as a study showed Lancashire takeaways were serving potential deadly meals to allergy sufferers.
As Sue Obertelli mourns the anniversary of her daughter Kate’s tragic death 11 years ago today, she says lessons have not been learned since she was served a curry containing peanuts.
The 22-year-old salon worker asked for a peanut free meal from a Coppull takeaway in July 2003, but suffered a severe reaction and cardiac arrest after just two bites.
Sue, a mum-of-three, spoke after a recent Trading Standards investigation found seven samples from Indian and Chinese takeaways across Preston, Chorley and South Ribble, contained peanuts - despite undercover officers asking for nut free foods.
Sue, 58, of Westhoughton, near Chorley, said: “It makes me so cross - I feel no lessons have been learned.
“These places should be charged with manslaughter by negligence if someone is harmed. We’re living the results every day.”
She also voiced concerns at cuts to Trading Standards departments, which hold outlets to account over products they sell.
She said: “Unless someone can hold these places to account and carry out regular tests, more people could end up like Kate.
“My sons have the same allergy and a few weeks ago Steven suffered a reaction from a curry, which is now being tested.”
Officers sampled 39 meals at Indian and Chinese takeaways across Preston, Chorley and South Ribble and deemed several unsatisfactory - five lamb dishes were beef.
Paul Noone, assistant director for Trading Standards, said: “In December, new legislation will be in force which requires takeaways to be more careful with allergens and to know which allergens are in their meals. It will require them to communicate this information to customers.”