Police in Blackpool are appealing for the public’s help as they continue to investigate the death of a two year old girl in Blackpool.
At 11.44pm on Tuesday 4 March, police were called by the ambulance service to an address on Jameson Street where Sophie Jones had been taken ill.
She was taken by ambulance to Blackpool Victoria Hospital but sadly died.
Speaking at a press conference at Blackpool Police Station, Det Supt Paul Withers said there was an investigation into whether Sophie had ingested the harmful substance at a home on Jameson Street, Blackpool, before she later died at Blackpool Victoria Hospital on Tuesday evening.
Det Supt Withers said: “I believe methadone has been removed from the house at some point during the course of events, either before the paramedics arrived or immediately after they left.
“It may have been given to a friend or associate of the two persons in custody, or has been hidden or secreted in the locality.
“If a child finds it, we know what the consequences are.”
Two people, a woman aged 29 and a 41-year-old man remain in police custody in connection with Sophie’s death.