Attacked for trying to defend woman from being assaulted in Preston city centre

editorial image
5
Have your say

Two men who launched a street attack on a man who spoke out to defend a woman have been spared jailed.

Linford Baron, 24, and 
Adrian Szuba, 19, pleaded guilty to causing actual bodily harm (ABH).

Baron, of Mardale Road, Preston, also admitted assaulting the woman when he appeared before Preston Crown Court.

The court heard two men were waiting in Friargate for a taxi at 4.15am on August 1 last year.

As they waited they were approached by a woman they knew from school and started chatting.

But as they talked, Baron approached, grabbed the woman by the hair calling her names as he dragged her away.

One of the men told him not to treat her that way and Baron walked off, spoke to Szuba and returned with a belt wrapped around which he used to attack the man.

Both men punched the 
victim several times before turning their attention to his friend. But when the man tried to defend his friend from the attack he was struck again.

Baron has now taken steps to address his drink and 
personal problems.

Judge Anthony Russell QC, sentencing, said: “Linford Baron, you have accepted - quite rightly that you are the main person to be dealt with here and you are primarily 
responsible.

“Adrian Szuba, you should not have joined in this attack but you did.”

He handed Baron a nine month sentence suspended for two years with supervision and 200 hours unpaid work.

Szuba, of Stonebridge 
Terrace, Preston, was 
handed a three month sentence 
suspended for 18 months with supervision and 60 hours 
unpaid work.