Crews save home in Bartle after thatch catches light

Crews battled the blaze in Bartle
Crews battled the blaze in Bartle
Share this article
0
Have your say

The quick actions of fire crews saved a home after a fire took hold near a thatched cottage in Bartle, say fire services.

Firefighters were called out at around 6.15pm on August 10 to a blaze that started in thatch that had been removed from a house in Bartle Lane.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "A large quantity of thatch that had been removed from a roof was on fire.

"It was in serious danger of spreading to an adjacent house.

"Three fire engines attended and crews wearing breathing apparatus worked to extinguish the fire which was well alight when we first got there.

"Dense hay and straw fires can be quite difficult to put out, but thankfully this fire was extinguished promptly.

"This was a lucky escape for the house which I can only put down to the quick actions of the crews.

"If we hadn't responded immediately the fire could quite easily have spread to the house.

"The occupants of this property did have smoke alarms fitted so they would have had warning if the fire had spread.

"Always make sure you have a working smoke alarm in your property to make sure you are safe."

The road was closed for a short time while fire services dealt with the fire.