Choking baby saved by supermarket samaritan

On the mend: Little Kian Ireland, seven months old, who was taken ill in Sainsbury's

On the mend: Little Kian Ireland, seven months old, who was taken ill in Sainsbury's

0
Have your say

A young mum feared her choking baby could have died were it not for a fellow shopper who stopped to help.

Panicked Natalie Whiteside was shopping in Sainsbury’s in Lancaster on Monday morning when her seven-month-old baby Kian suddenly started vomiting, gasping for breath and turning grey.

It was a good two minutes before Kian caught his breath. I’ve had first aid training but I just panicked and froze, I didn’t know what to do. He quickly changed colour.

Natalie Whiteside

In a flash she grabbed him out of the trolley and held him on her knee on the floor of the aisle, desperately trying to clear his airway.

Passersby and staff simply walked on without offering to help, she said.

Natalie, 23, who lives in Skerton, said: “This man stopped and asked if I needed an ambulance and I said I didn’t know what was wrong with him.

“The man took Kian and sat on the floor holding him and rubbing his back.

“It was a good two minutes before Kian caught his breath. I’ve had first aid training but I just panicked and froze, I didn’t know what to do. He quickly changed colour.

“I didn’t catch his name so all I know about the man is he was around 45, and he said he had two children that were grown up, one of them was 16.

“He said he hadn’t held a baby for a long time.

“If that man didn’t come over I could have been sat on the floor forever.

“I was so grateful and happy that someone came and helped us.

“If Kian didn’t catch his breath it could have been fatal.

“Afterwards, Kian was really shocked and clingy.

“He only came out of hospital last week because he is allergic to dairy, so I thought he might have had a reaction to something.

“I just wanted to get him home.

“My nana was in the next aisle and went to customer service and the lady there just gave her a roll of blue paper to clean up the aisle.

“Surely Sainsbury’s have a duty of care to look after people shopping in their store?

“You lose a bit of faith when staff walk past you without helping.”

Natalie took Kian home afterwards and said she couldn’t stop shaking.

Natalie, her fiance Ben Ireland, 26, and her daughter Tia, five, were all happy that Kian made a full recovery and did not require further treatment.

A spokesman for Sainsbury’s apoligised to the familiy.

They said: ‘We have spoken to Natalie to apologise for the poor experience she received and we look forward to welcoming her back in our store.

“Our colleagues are always on hand if customers need help with their shop and we apologise for falling short of this on this occasion.”