Bedroom fire after hair extensions caught fire

A  bedroom was gutted by a blaze after a human hair extensions caught fire. Firefighters were called to Hyde Road in Morecambe at 8.25pm on Tuesday night.

A bedroom was gutted by a blaze after a human hair extensions caught fire. Firefighters were called to Hyde Road in Morecambe at 8.25pm on Tuesday night.

1
Have your say

A bedroom was gutted by a blaze after human hair extensions caught fire.

Firefighters were called to Hyde Road in Morecambe at 8.25pm on Tuesday night.

When crews arrived the fire had broken through the first floor bedroom window, smoke was venting out of the window and flames could be seen through the window.

The woman in the house managed to escape and get her pets outside.

Two firefighters entered the building and the team put out the fire.

Checks were also made of an adjoining property to ensure that the fire had not spread.

The fire was brought under control at 9pm.

The bedroom was severely damaged by fire. The landing and one other room on the 1st floor was severely damaged by smoke.

Warren Topp, Green Watch Manager at Lancaster Fire Station, said: “The fire was caused by accidental ignition to human hair extensions and bedding, the source of ignition was a hairdryer.

“The hairdryer had been left unattended on the bed immediately following use.

“The occupant had left the bedroom for a few minutes to walk downstairs. When she arrived back upstairs she was met with a developing fire producing a large volume of smoke. The bedroom quickly became involved in fire.

“Due to the quick thinking of the occupant there were no casualties at this incident. The occupant evacuated the premises taking her family pets with her prior to calling the fire service outside the property.

“There were no smoke alarms fitted to this house. Had the occupant not returned upstairs so soon and discovered the fire so quickly then the consequences could have been far more severe.

“Always ensure that hairdryers and hair straighteners and not left unattended when switched on or immediately following use. Always place them on a non-combustible surface until they are cooled.”

For fire safety advice call 0800 169 1125 or visit http://www.lancsfirerescue.org.uk/fire-safety-check/