£5,500 fine for hygiene offences at Lancashire pub

The Miller Arms in Singleton for Dine Out.

The Miller Arms in Singleton for Dine Out.

3
Have your say

One of Lancashire’s most famous old country pubs housed hygiene problems which a judge said “was more luck than anything else” that members of the public were not made ill.

In the kitchen of the Miller Arms was a selection of food including cheese and shrimps which were up to 19 days past their use-by dates.

And prosecutor Michael Lavery told a judge that inspections by council officers of the fridges revealed more culinary horrors.

They included:

• Duck looking green and slimy with a putrid smell.

• Mouldy grated cheese.

• Stinking prawns in viscous fluid.

The company which runs what its calls the area’s original gastro pub pleaded guilty to nine offences brought under Health and Safety, Food Labelling and Food Hygiene regulations.

Tiger TK Wood Ltd, which runs the venue, on Weeton Road, Singleton near Kirkham, was prosecuted at Blackpool Magistrates Court by Fylde Borough Council.

The firm had originally been charged with 50 offences but on the basis of its guilty plea to nine offences a trial was avoided. District Judge Sam Goozee heard how council staff made an inspection visit of the premises in 2013 after new owners –a mother and daughter team – took over the Miller Arms but failed to register with the council they were selling food.

An inspection revealed what the prosecutor said was “a tired structure with a poor standard of cleanliness.”

The company was given a formal notice demanding improvements but another inspection revealed little improvement, the court was told.

Louise Brandon, defending, said the directors had done what they could to co-operate with the council.

They believed the brewery was to carry out a refurbishment of the premises but this was delayed.

She added: “It is now unrecognisable from what it was. Everyone has learned a harsh lesson and now their hygiene rating has gone up from two to four.”

Fining the firm a total of £5,500 and ordering them to pay £1,120 costs the judge said there was a “wholesale breakdown in food hygiene control.”