History of Euxton church is documented to mark 150th anniversary

One of the chief benefactors of the church building was Sir William Ince Anderton, who contributed �1000 towards the cost of the church building and additionally funded the building and outfitting of the Anderton Chapel within the church. Sir William died in 1884 aged 58 and was buried in the family vault beneath the Anderton Chapel alongside his wife Lady Emma.
One of the chief benefactors of the church building was Sir William Ince Anderton, who contributed �1000 towards the cost of the church building and additionally funded the building and outfitting of the Anderton Chapel within the church. Sir William died in 1884 aged 58 and was buried in the family vault beneath the Anderton Chapel alongside his wife Lady Emma.
Share this article
0
Have your say

This month sees the 150th anniversary of the opening of St Mary’s RC Church in Euxton.

Tom Parker, secretary of the Pastoral Parish Council, has written ‘History of the Parish of St Mary’s’ to mark the celebration of the 150th anniversary of the opening of the church on October 29, 1865.

This picture is undated, but is probably the earliest picture we have of the church and grounds.'The parish priest can be seen seated on the bench with his dog alongside him. It is known that both Fr Worthy and Fr Keeley had dogs, so this doesn't help in identifying who the priest is, or the date of the photograph! 'All we know is that the photo must have been taken after 1877 as the presbytery tower has the clock installed. 'You might notice the different shape of the steeple compared to today, and the black clock face.

This picture is undated, but is probably the earliest picture we have of the church and grounds.'The parish priest can be seen seated on the bench with his dog alongside him. It is known that both Fr Worthy and Fr Keeley had dogs, so this doesn't help in identifying who the priest is, or the date of the photograph! 'All we know is that the photo must have been taken after 1877 as the presbytery tower has the clock installed. 'You might notice the different shape of the steeple compared to today, and the black clock face.

Euxton’s Catholic history, however, pre-dates the building of the church by some 500 years, with the faith being upheld and protected through the dark days of the Penal times by prominent local families, as Tom explains:

The first documentary evidence of Christianity in Euxton is found in a Deed of 1330 in which ‘Robert, the son of Richard the Priest of Eukeston’ makes a grant of land.

A later Deed names Robert and Gilbert as other ‘Priests of Eukeston’, so perhaps there was some sort of religious community here at that time.

Euxton’s Catholic history can be traced back to the 14th century, when it housed a ‘chapel of ease’ to Leyland Parish Church (perhaps with ‘Richard the Priest’ in residence).

St Mary's RC Church in Euxton

St Mary's RC Church in Euxton

The then-Catholic chapel at Euxton (now the Parish Church) was rebuilt by the Molyneux family in the 16th century.

The ‘Historical Notices of the Diocese of Chester’ also record that ‘In the 15th (year) of Henry VIII (ie 1524) James Anderton of Euxton founded a Chantry in the Chapel of Euxton for a Priest to pray for the souls of himself and Agnes, his wife’.

The chapel remained ‘in Catholic hands’ throughout the Reformation, as the ownership was vested in the Molyneux family rather than the Catholic Church, although few services took place there and it gradually fell into disrepair, before the ownership was transferred to the Established Church in 1718.

It was in 1718 that the first Catholic chapel at Euxton Hall was opened to the public.

In 1735 Rev. Thomas Anderton, uncle to the then squire William Anderton, made his will and bequeathed most of his property “for the support of the Chapel which I have established at Euxton Hall”.

The Rev Anderton died in 1741 and it is from this time that a permanent clergy was appointed and the Parish Registers commence.

A new Chapel was built at Euxton Hall in 1817 by William Ince Anderton, partly funded by public subscription, but by the 1850s the congregation was beginning to outgrow this Chapel and a process started which resulted in the building of the new church which was opened on October 29, 1865.

More details are covered in the newly-published ‘History of the Parish of St Mary’s Euxton’, available from St Mary’s Church, priced at £6.